Thursday, February 11, 2010

At the Tracy House

After my first night’s sleep in San Jose at a rather nice hotel for only $55 (Hotel Luisiana, if you ever want to know), I woke up and had my first Costa Rican coffee in Costa Rica. Take a moment and appreciate it with me. ahhh. Divine.

IMG_4736

I partook of my first CR coffee on my hotel balcony in amazing weather – not sweltering at all! 75 and sunny with a breeze. I’m sorry for all of you right now enduring miserable winter weather. I really am. It just doesn’t sound like I am. I’m sorry.

I took a taxi to Cathy’s place, which she warned me was difficult to find. True enough, it was. Plus, I got the only taxi driver in the city without a cell phone so he had to ask for directions on the street rather than call Cathy. Oh well.

Inside Cathy’s compound, from the door to her cabana.

IMG_4751

Cathy is basically the cousin of my mother-in-law. I think it’s more complicated than that, but that’s how we explained it in Spanish to her Spanish teacher that morning. We spoke Spanish the entire morning with her teacher and it was fabulous! A perfect first day in a Spanish-speaking country!

Later, we took the train to the store to buy groceries as I’d offered to cook that night. This is a photo of the train station sign. Awesome.

IMG_4737

Cathy and I at the brand new “train station” (a concrete platform with a shelter). Love it!

IMG_4742

IMG_4738

Today, Cathy and I went into San Jose to shop at the artisan market and central market. I am in love with the beautiful batik fabrics here, but haven’t made any purchases in that area yet. Mainly, we looked and I got an idea of prices. At the central market, though, we bought coffee!! Boy, did we buy coffee! Cathy bought almost 8 pounds to take back to friends in the States. We spoke Spanish with the coffee guys as they prepared both our orders (I bought 3) and learned that these guys were proud of their coffee. I was delighted when they compared it with wine. “Poetic,” I said (except in Spanish because we’re trying to practice more). :-)

Me at “Pigeon Square” in San Jose.

IMG_4746 We enjoyed looking the vast array of goods that exists in a central market (parakeets, flowers, meats, and a turkey, oh my!)

We ate with the locals and I tasted some of Cathy’s yummy ceviche and have resolved to order it myself when I have the chance. Delicious!

Always a challenge in a new city, we both considered it a great victory when we reached the correct bus stop to return to her suburb of San Jose!

Cathy and I happy to be on the right bus.

IMG_4750

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

MMMMMM, I want to sit with you in morning silence on that balcony and drink yummy PR coffee :)