Saturday, October 4, 2008

700 Billion Leg Bail Out

I was running with the dog, a typical Saturday morning sun shining, cool breeze, man Florida is nice. We ran down past the archery range to the beach where we were going to cut back to the house along the shore. Now, I'm not from the beach and I know there are some things that I don't know about sea life but what I saw down there is probably the creepiest thing I have ever seen in nature. I'll get straight to it, crabs. Yep, little crabs about the size of your big toe just covering the beach. In both directions the ground is alive. They are quick too, not that I tried to step on them, I was jogging, but I hardly stepped on any. It was like some kind of "Killer mini-crabs from the Deep" movie and I'm sure that if I fell down they would have stripped the flesh from my bones.
The dog had fun too because these little guys are like walking dog treats: tasty, crunchy, and fun (mild defenses only). As you walk they retreat in to the grass like the beach is rolling out the white carpet (the sand is white). I did wonder where all the predators were, I mean, if I was a carnivore, omnivore, or even a vegetarian with a mouth big enough to eat an acorn I would be at this conveyor belt smorgasbord of seafood. When we got back to the house I got McKay and the camera because the verbal description only does about 50% justice to the spectacle. She confirmed: creepiest thing she's ever seen. I'm sure there are a few people who know the beach who will probably say stuff like, "That's nothing new", "That happens every year", and "Mmmm tasty." But I'm not going to let that stop me from believing that it was God's little "Welcome to Florida" Hallmark card. I also made a video, one with a creepy "they're going to take over the world" vibe

and the other with a "they're so cute I want to fill my pockets with them" vibe.



I also thought you should see a close up of this one

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Nice, I like the Hallmark card :)