Saturday, February 7, 2009

McKay's Green Tips

So I started to write an article-type entry synthesizing the research I did about going green and wondered why it didn't flow. Well, I don't like to write research papers. I like to DO research and learn, but relate said research in a more conversational, generalized, conclusion-oriented way. So, I'll include sources here and there, but won't berate you with facts and numbers - that's up to you!

First green tip: Buy local over organic.

I chose to buy local because local produce uses less energy to get to me, I like to support my local entrepreneurs, and the people who work those fruit stands are full of the most interesting information! They know where exactly the fruits and veggies come from, they give out free samples if you ask, they know where the local hot spots are, and they always have interesting histories. Get some local flavor!

Recycle, but don't expect a lot.

Oh boy! There are a lot of opinionated people on both sides of this issue! An
Economist's reasons against recycling. Basically, I recycle for the same reason I don't throw a perfectly good pair of jeans in the trash just because I don't wear them anymore. I don't like to know I ended the product's life cycle in my garbage.

These articles in Popular Mechanics were very helpful.

Popular Mechanics Dec 2008
Popular Mechanics:
Recycling by the Numbers
Popular Mechanics:
5 Half Truths about Recyling

I learned that metals are the only truly profitable thing to recycle right now; that recycling processes are getting better; that they're still not great; that maybe there's a plasma process that can burn our trash at super hot temperatures and produce water, energy, and carbon; and that I'll continue to recycle my cans, #1 & #2 plastics (nowhere around here takes more than that), paper, and glass. And, I'll try to buy things that have recyclable packaging, or better yet, contain recycled material AND are recyclable.



Reuse your glass.

A lot of places are not taking glass anymore to recycle. In order to recycle glass, it has to get broken down to what is basically sand. Since sand is still cheaper than recycling glass in most places, supply and demand are playing here. I suggest you buy recycled glass to close the recycling loop and help create a need for recycled glass. But mainly I suggest you buy glass that you can reuse. I put colored glass in concrete to make terrazzo, I use bottles for vases and candleholders, jars for cotton balls and bath salts, and I display bottles with intersting shapes. A friend of mine saves hers in her garage and takes them with her when she travels to places that recycle glass (like the next county or something,
not across the country!)

What about the trees?

One of the first things that really got me researching was the question of saving trees. I like trees. I want to keep trees in existence. Are they in danger? There sure are a lot of trees most places I've lived...

Question: If I buy recycled paper, does that reduce the price of trees? Does it reduce it so much that tree farmers can't make money and sell the farm to land developers who cut down all the trees?

Answer: Possibly. I contacted the
Division of Forestry here in Florida and that's happened a lot here recently, but not becuase the price of paper went down, but the price of land went up (before the recession). What's more, recycling paper is very close to the cost of producing virgin paper; the variables are how much it costs in gathering and transport of paper to be recycled. Once at the mill, it's pretty close. Right now, they gather and transport trees more efficiently. More about recycled paper: Treecycle recycled paper


Also, if you decide to "plant a tree" make sure you know where they're planting it and that it's a good type of tree for the area. Educate yourself!

To reduce my wasting paper towells, I put a basket of washcloths by my kitchen sink to use on spills and regular counter cleaning. I now hardly buy paper towells! Good for the pocketbook too!


Clean Green.

All you need is vinegar and baking soda.

Not only is it WAY cheaper than cleaning solutions, it actually cleans REALLY well! I use a solution (recycling my old 409 bottle no less) of half vinegar, half water, and 20 or so drops of lemon and grapefruit essential oil (well, until it smells nice) to clean my countertops, floors, carpet stains, faucets, bathtub, shower walls, sinks, toilet, all-purpose, you know.

I use baking soda to scrub the bathtub, tough countertop stains, and pour it down the drains to clean and freshen those.

You can also put some baking soda in your laundry load (1/4 to 1 cup) to brighten colors. For tough smells and fabric softening, use 1/2 cup of vinegar. I don't recommend using them together in the laundry - remember the volcano science fair projects?

Want other ideas? Google "green cleaning recipes"

Lightbulbs

Egad! Those energy saving bulbs that everyone is switching to contain mercury?! What!? It's true. And if everyone recycles them like they're supposed to recycle their batteries (seriously, when was the last time you recycled your remote's old AAs?) then, it's no big deal. But if everyone throws them away... that's a lot of mercury!

Be Smart!

Basically, I encourage you to be educated - know why you behave as you do as a consumer. Certainly, there are things I buy because I thought the package was pretty or the people on the commercial seemed to really like it, but I know that's why I bought it.


Don't just "go green" blindly. I'm preaching to the choir. Does that charger really use less electricy? Why exactly should I buy organic? How does bamboo's "sustainability" sustain in this increased demand?

Do you have awesome green ideas? Why do you act as you do as a consumer? Do you have other interesting links to articles?

1 comment:

Ashley Howard said...

We went and bought a pack of washcloths to use to wipe off our counters. We were using sponges, but were really destroying our sponges so we switched to paper towels, then liked your idea better!